Monday, January 21, 2008

Hello 2008!

Well hello there! It really has been quite sometime since I've written in this. A lot has happened in the past few months so I guess I'll get started.

Last time I wrote, my friend Chris had cancer. Keyword there is had. He's beat it and things are fine now. I was pretty sure I was going to law school in the fall, but that looks like it's going to be put off for at least a year or two just because I'm not mentally ready yet. I've made some amazing friends and ended the year on a good note, but started the New Year on an even better one. 

Christmas was fun, as always and ended up being pretty fun. We didn't go out of town and I hung out with a friend of mine whom I haven't spent much time with this last fall. At any rate, we had a lot of fun, ate dinner with her parents, and went to a movie. 

January has literally come and gone. Just this last week, I was in Nevada (not pronounced Nevahduh for you non-Californian's). I was an intern/volunteer for the Barack Obama Campaign there. As many of you know, him and Hillary were tied coming into Nevada. Hillary won the popular vote, but Senator Obama won the delegates which is all really that matters. 

During my week's stay there, I met some incredible people that I really hope to keep in touch with. So if you're reading this, let's all make it a point to be in touch with each other. I really hope this fun continues until November and keeps happening for the next four years. 

While I was in Nevada, like I said, I met some awesome awesome people. One of them whom I'll talk about is my incredible field organizer (FO), Brenna. The moment I knew why I do the things I do really opened my eyes when she said, "Its so great to see all of you here. I love getting involved and getting people involved." I'm almost 100% that's not verbatim what she said, however it was along those lines. Seeing her passion for what she did made working for her fun. When things were not going so well, she would always be there to cheer me up and keep encouraging me to go out there and work that much harder. The moment I knew that I was going to give more than 100% for this campaign was Wednesday of the trip. we had all been up since 5:30am because the Senator was making an appearance and we were going to help work the event, see him, and eventually meet him. We had been canvassing a neighborhood for quite sometime and the weather was getting the best of me. I told my friend Matt that we needed to head back because it was getting too damn cold for me. When we got in the car, I knew what I had done was wrong. I felt horrible. When we were halfway back to the office, I told him to turn the truck around, and head back to our precinct to finish what we started because Hillary was not going to win the state that I've worked so hard in. 

So the internship has come and gone. Hillary won the popular vote and Senator Obama won the delagates. To me, that's all that matters. Tomorrow is officially my first, last day of school as an undergraduate here at Fresno State. It hasn't exactly started how I pictured it many years ago, but to say the least, the ride has been fun. 

I'm going to get this poster framed tomorrow that I took from our office. The poster is from the rally that was held by the Washington Monument when Dr. Martin Luther King gave his famous "I Have A Dream" speech. In the picture, it says "Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." In the spirit of Dr. King, I use that to keep me motivated to do good things in this world. Even if it is one door knock or phone call at a time.

No comments: